World of Greed or Will of God? (1 John 2:15-17) - 7/18/21
I. THE WORLD OF GREED (2:15-17a)
Bottom Line: Victory comes in doing the will of God (v. 17).
1. The Command Against Lust (v. 15)
2. The Conduct of Lust (v. 16)
- Lust of the flesh - self gratification. Appeals to the physical
- Gen 3 - good for food
- Matt 4 - stones to bread
- Lust of the eyes - Mental gratification. Appeals to the emotions
- Gen 3:6 - pleasant to the eyes
- Matt 4 - Protection by angels, but you will be someone special
- Pride of life - Appeals to our spiritual nature
- Gen 3 - desired to make one wise
- Matt 4 - worship Satan for kingdoms of world
Worldliness has a price. Why do God’s people want to look like the world, why do they want their children to look like the world?
- Answer #1: We Want Our Kids to Be Popular.
- But God wants them to be PERFECTED (v. 5)
- Answer #2: We Want Our Kids to Be Happy
- But God wants them to be HOLY (1 Pet. 1:15-16)
3. The Conclusion of Lust (v. 17a)
- The world and all its lusts are passing away.
II. THE WILL OF GOD (v. 17b)