- Tabernacle Baptist Church
How to Deal with Bitterness, Part 1 (Hebrews 12) - 7/14/21
Download the Sermon Notes for July 14, 2021.
- The main emphasis of this passage is that we come to a point where we can run the race with endurance (v. 1) and, thereby, serve God acceptably (v. 28).
- Notice the import of the following points in developing an accept- able (pleasing) service to God:
We must run the race (v. 1) - The Required Endurance
We must look to Jesus (vv. 2-4) - The Runner’s Example
We must be disciplined in God’s School (vv. 5-11) - The Reminder of God’s Exhortation
We must recognize the danger of failing the Grace of God (vv. 12-17) - The Reality of the Evil of Bitterness
We must go to Mt. Zion (vv. 18-24) - The Repenter’s Encouragement
We must go on serving God (vv. 25-29) - The Reward of Eternal Grace
- How does bitterness occur in the life of a Christian?
NOTE: this book is written to Saved People!
Why do people, marriages, churches, experience such deep pain and hurt?
Hebrews 12 gives clear reasons for the problems of this nature that we face, and then solutions, or guidelines, for dealing with them.
I. RUN THE RACE (v. 1) THE REQUIRED ENDURANCE
II. LOOK UNTO JESUS (vv. 2-4) THE RUNNER’S EXAMPLE
III. THE DISCIPLINE OF THE LORD (vv. 5-11) THE REMINDER OF GOD’S EXHORTATION
--What is the purpose or design of the discipline of the Lord, v. 10?
That we may be partakers of His holiness.
1. THE FORGOTTEN EXHORTATION (vv. 5-6)
2. THE FAITHFUL’S ENDURANCE (vv. 7-8)
3. THE FATHER’S EXAMPLE (vv. 9-10)
4. THE FRUITFUL END RESULT (v. 11)
IV. WE MUST NOT FAIL THE GRACE OF GOD (VV. 12-17)
THE REALITY OF THE EVIL OF BITTERNESS