How to Deal with Bitterness, Part 2 (Hebrews 12) - 7/21/21
I. RUN THE RACE (v. 1).
THE REQUIRED ENDURANCE
II. LOOK UNTO JESUS (vv. 2-4).
THE RUNNER’S EXAMPLE
III. THE DISCIPLINE OF THE LORD (vv. 5-11).
THE REMINDER OF GOD’S EXHORTATION
--What is the purpose or design of the discipline of the Lord, v10?
That we may be partakers of His holiness.
IV. WE MUST NOT FAIL THE GRACE OF GOD (VV. 12-17).
Here we have the sixfold, three stage HORROR of Bitterness!
#1 - STAGE ONE - PETTY PROBLEMS
These are mostly personal in nature. Bitterness eats at you.
1. It causes trouble...
2. By this many become defiled...
#2 - STAGE TWO - PRIDE PROBLEMS -
1. Lest there be any fornicator....
2. Or profane person.... (One who blames God.)
#3 - STAGE THREE - PARAMOUNT PROBLEMS
1. He was rejected...
2. He found no place of repentance...
V. WE MUST GO TO MOUNT ZION (VV. 18-24).
THE REPENTER’S ENCOURAGEMENT
We must learn to deal with bitterness at Mt. Zion and not Mt. Sinai.
Think about what happened to the one who committed fornication,
or who was profane, in the Old Testament. They were stoned!
NOTE the difference in Mount Sinai and Mount Zion:
1. The mountain ... that burned with fire (v. 18)
vs. the Heavenly Jerusalem (v. 22)
MOUNTAIN OF DARKNESS/DEATH VS. CITY OF LIGHT/LIFE
2. The sound of a trumpet and the voice of words.... (v. 19)
vs. an innumerable company of angels (v. 22)
THE DEAFENING ROAR VS. THE SHOUTS OF JOY
3. They could not endure what was commanded (v. 20)
vs. the general assembly and church of the firstborn, registered in heaven (v. 22)
THE DREAD OF THE LAW VS. THE DELIGHTS OF GRACE
4. And so terrifying was the sight (v. 21)
vs. to God, the Judge of all (v. 23)
THE DEMANDING GOD OF LAW VS. THE REWARDING GOD OF LOVE
5. And if so much as a beast touches the mountain.... (v. 20)
vs. the spirits of just men made perfect (v. 23)
THE DANGER OF DISOBEDIENCE VS. THE PROTECTIVE DISCIPLINE OF THE LORD
6. Moses said, “I am exceedingly afraid...,” (v. 21)
vs. Jesus, the Mediator of the new covenant (v. 24)
THE DAILY DEFILEMENT OF SIN VS. THE ONCE FOR ALL CLEANSING
7. The blood of bulls and goats
vs. the blood of sprinkling that speaks of better things than that of Abel (v. 24)
THE DUTY OF RITUAL & RELIGION VS. THE FREEDOM OF FORGIVENESS
VI. WE MUST GO ON SERVING GOD (vv. 25-29).
THE REWARD OF ETERNAL GRACE