No Cause for Stumbling (1 John 2:7-11) - 7/4/21
In verses 3-6, John tells us how to know that we know Him:
The Will of God is your Desire (3-4);
The Word of God is your Direction (5);
A Walk with God is your Delight (6)
Now he gives us the first test. It is the will of God that you love others. It is both an old and a new command.
II. The Provisions for the Christian (2:1-14) - Founded in Christ
A. Propitiation from Sin (2:1-2)
B. Perfected by the Word (2:3-11)
1. The Love of God Commanded (vv. 3-6)
2. The Love of God Considered (vv. 7-8)
a. The Law of Love (v. 7) - The Emphasis Changes
- Under LAW - acts of love are done from DUTY.
- Under GRACE - acts of love are done from DESIRE.
b. The Life of Love (v. 7b - 8a) - The Example is Created
- Is not a product of HUMAN SINCERITY.
- But is a product of the HOLY SPIRIT.
LOVE IS: unconditional, unprejudiced, unselfish, unending
c. The Liberty of Love (v. 8b) - The Effect is Commended
- Not a PERFECT love IMMEDIATELY,
- But a PROGRESSIVE love INCREASINGLY.
- 1. FREEDOM OF FORGIVENESS,
you can be released from bondage.
- 2. FAITH FOR THE FALLEN,
by love you can see the grace of God revealed to others.
- 3. FAMILY FOR THE FORGIVEN,
prodigal son is great example. Restoration is the goal.
3. The Love God Contradicted (vv. 9-11)
a. Creates a Lack of Spiritual Perception (v. 9)
Deception: “I can’t help the way I feel.” Yes, you can!
b. Causes a Life of Stumbling
Deception: “I can’t/won’t get involved.” But you should!
c. Curtails a Longing for Spiritual Growth
Deception: “I can’t help the way I think.” Yes, you can!