Sermon Notes: The Joy of Worship Together (Psalm 122) - 6/7/20
As we come back into the house of the Lord let us consider carefully the following things we GET to do (all of which fulfill a purpose of the church)...
I. PRAISE HIM WITH GLAD WORSHIP (vv. 1-2)
1. You Don’t have to Worship - You Get To!! (v. 1)
2. You Don’t have to Wait - You Get To Anticipate! (v. 2)
II. PROMOTE HIM WITH GODLY WORDS (vv. 3-4)
Purpose: Fellowship, encouragement
1. The Giving of Testimony by God’s People
2. The Giving of Thanks to the God of the People
III. PERFECT OUR GROWTH IN WISDOM (vv. 5-6)
Purpose: Discipleship, spiritual growth, maturity
1. Determined Discipline for Spiritual Maturity
2. Dedicated Devotion through Prayer
IV. PROCLAIM HIM BY A GOING WITNESS (vv. 7-9)
Purpose: Evangelism (We worship to witness)
1. Personal Witnessing for Spiritual Peace with God - Salvation
2. Preaching the Word for Spiritual Prosperity from God - Sanctification
Questions for Further Study:
Does the average church member take Hebrews 10:25 seriously? Should they? Is church attendance an option or a command? Why is church important to you?
Do you agree that when it comes to worship the saying, “You don’t have to, you get to,” is a proper way to express our joy in worship together? Why should you look forward to worship together with your brothers and sisters in Christ?
How important is the giving of testimony by God’s people?
How important is the giving of thanks to our God?
One purpose of gathering for worship is discipleship. Explain the importance of formative and corrective discipline in the church.
What should our gathering to worship motivate us to do when we leave the building?