The Design of Discipline (Philippians 2:12-18) - 3/8/20
How do we properly define the Christian life?
The Christ-life is not what you do for God but rather but what God does in and through you, to make you effective in your service for Him.
- Is your conduct worthy of the gospel? (Phil. 1:27)
- Do you have the mind of Christ? (Phil. 2:5)
- The Design of Discipline - To live a life worthy of the gospel we must be...
I. BURDENED IN OUR OBEDIENCE (vv. 12-13)
A. You Work OUT Your Salvation.
- You must be disciplined!
- The Quietist v. the Pietist view
B. God Works IN His Sovereignty
- You must be dependent on God!
SO - Pray & worship as if it all depends on God; plan & work as if it all depends on you!
II. BLAMELESS IN OUR OPPORTUNITIES (vv. 14-15)
A. Right Attitudes - Supporting the life of the church
B. Right Actions - Shining as lights in a crooked world
III. BOLD IN OUR OUTREACH (v. 16)
A. We Rejoice in the Victory.
B. We Do Not Run in Vain.
IV. BROKEN IN OUR OFFERING (vv. 17-18)
A. Poured Out in Humility
B. Praising God in Heartfelt Joy