Giving Away What You Cannot Keep (2 Corinthians 8:1-7) - 2/9/20
You have heard the phrase before: “He is no fool who gives away that which he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose!” - Jim Elliott
What is it that you cannot keep? _________ ___________
- Key Verse: Luke 12:16-21
- Prov. 11:4; Eccl. 2:18-22; 5:14-16; 1 Tim. 6:7; Matt. 6:19-21; Job 27:13-23)
What is it that you cannot lose? ____ ________ ____ ____!
- Key Verse: Luke 12:22-34
- Phil. 4:10-19; Gen. 48:15; Prov. 3:9-10; 11:24-26; Mal. 3:8-10; 2 Cor. 9:8-11; 1 Tim. 6:17
Four Keys from the Macedonian Churches to help us excel in our giving (2 Cor. 8):
I. They Gave out of Their AFFLICTION (vv. 1-2)
A. A Great Trial of Affliction.
B. Deep Poverty.
II. They Gave out of Their ABUNDANCE (vv. 1-2)
A. They Abounded in Joy.
B. They Abounded in the Riches of Their Liberality.
They knew how rich they were! Do you? Here is how to tell - Add up all you have that _______ cannot buy and _________ can’t take away - that is the measure of true riches!
III. They Gave Beyond Their ABILITY (vv. 3-4)
A. The Free Willingness of their Giving
- Very important point: There was no ___________ !
B. The Fellowship of their Giving
IV. They Gave Based on Their ALLEGIANCE (vv. 5-7)
A. LORDSHIP - FIRST, They Gave Themselves to Christ
B. LEADERSHIP - They Gave Themselves to other Christians
C. LIBERTY - They Understood the Principle of Grace Giving
Ponder these thoughts:
1. Get Your Heart Right - 2 Cor. 9:6-11
2. Remember God’s Gift to You - 2 Cor. 9:15
3. Don’t Steal from God - Mal. 3:8-10