Sermon Notes: The Blessing of a Determined Devotion, Part 2 (Daniel 1) - 6/21/20
I. Devotion and Daniel’s Integrity (1)
A. The Conquered Conscripts (1:1-7)
1. Tragedy for God’s People (vv. 1-2)
2. Testing for God’s Men (vv. 3-7)
B. The Courageous Captives (1:8-16)
IF God's Word is to be to us that which would edify our heads,
encourage our hearts, and embolden our hands,
then we must walk after holiness.
We must live with purpose.
1. Living with Purpose (v. 8) - “Daniel ... would not defile himself.”
*Courage fails where there is no cause.
- We don't expect enough of our young people... What made Daniel & the boys so courageous? They knew their Bibles!!
- Why we need this training today - 2 Tim. 3:12
- The boys knew all about Jeremiah 29.
- The food wasn’t permitted by God’s Law (Lev. 11:44-47)
- The Wine was intoxicating (Prov. 20:1; 23:29-35; Is. 5:11; 28:7- 8; Hos. 4:11)
* Here is the bottom line: wisdom is thinking like God thinks in order to act like God acts.
* Faith is not believing in spite of the evidence,
it is obeying in spite of the consequences!
2. Learning from Providence (vv. 9-16)
* Understand that in every circumstance and situation your goal,
your objective, your purpose should be to glorify God. - 1 Cor. 10:31
C. The Chosen Champions (1:17-21)
1. Spiritual Gifts from God (v. 17)
2. Sustaining Grace from God (vv. 18-19)
3. Surpassing Greatness among Men (vv. 20-21)